Sunday, November 8, 2009

Night Time

As I sit here at 11-ish on a Sunday evening I begin to reflect on my evenings and nights lately.

I am really busy.

Sundays are busy all day. We have church activities pretty much all day from morning to bedtime.

Mondays I had a really great Bible study that I decided recently (today, though I have been praying over it for over a week) to quit because of how busy I am.

Every other Tuesday evening (or pretty close, it's the 1st and 3rd Tuesdays...so almost every other Tuesday) I have what is called "Girlfriend Time" at our church. It's like a Bible study, but we chat a lot and do girly stuff. I know, not really my thing usually, but it hasn't been horrible, and I'm trying to be supportive and get to know some other women in the church. Since that isn't every week, I really hadn't been counting it (plus it's only been going on for like a month or so). Still, it really is on the schedule, so I should count it.

Wednesday evenings I spend with our church youth group. I have the awesome opportunity to help lead young people to Christ, and/or a deeper relationship with Him and every Wednesday is a blessing. I really don't want to quit that, and honestly, I really feel God has called me there to stay. He keeps calling me back every time I try to quit, so I'm probably there for the long haul.

Thursdays, our family has joined a "Life Group". It's basically another Bible study. This time for the whole family...well all the family goes, but the kids go and hang out while Tony and I have a Bible study for us. I don't know that I have gotten a whole lot out of it besides getting to know some new people a lot better. The kids enjoy going and hanging out. Still, I don't know how long Tony will last going. He's not really the social type and I think it's starting to get to him.

Fridays and Saturdays Tony and I (if we aren't completely exhausted from the rest of the week) have our dates or shove in other activities that may want to do. We have family time before the kids go to bed and then Tony and I might go out if my mom is home to watch the sleeping kiddos.

Do I seem kinda busy? I really like being busy, so that really isn't a problem. I am also only talking about the evenings, the rest of the time I am doing all the SAHM stuff. I felt kinda bad about leaving the Monday night thing until I really looked at my schedule. My kids aren't really suffering for the schedule, because really they only do Thursdays and most Wednesdays...though they really don't have to do the Wednesdays. Tony is home with the kids the rest of the time, and he is with them if they go to church on Wednesdays. What I didn't like was spending most of my evenings away from my husband. I actually like the guy. I want to be around him, not just tag him "it" as I run out the door and he comes in. I really do see Tony, though. He and I are usually up late and hang out together after whatever activity we have is over. We are both usually pretty tired, but we spend our time together anyway.

Still, I'm praying over lightening the load. So far God really hasn't given me a clear picture of what He would have me drop. I'm waiting and listening. I dropped my Bible study on Mondays because He led me to do so, so that may be enough. I look around and notice some stuff at home that could probably be done during my busy times, but then, I'm home all day, I could probably do it then, too. I don't know. I was hoping for a peace when I made the decision to drop Monday nights. It hasn't come. I'm waiting and listening. Maybe something else will have to drop.

1 comment:

Jennifer said...

This is a decision I have had to make as well. The reason I don't go to Girlfriend Time (even though I would like to) is because I try really hard to not be away from home more than one night a week. I find that even though I am home with the kids all day, they really need me to be home at night to put them to bed. Plus, Wayne and I need that time together as well.

I am a leader in the MOPS group I am in and this requires me to be away from home for meetings and such at least one night a week; and well there goes the one night I allow myself. This week I will actually be away for 2 nights, well actually 3 if you count our date night on Saturday and I just know the kids are not going to sleep as well, making for a tough week.

Someone asked me recently what the toughest thing is about being a mom. I said it was "losing out on ME time", because I try to give 100% of myself to the kids. But I know it will be worth it in the long run.