Tuesday, May 8, 2012

The Princess' New School

My daughters will be attending a new school next year.  I wrote about some of the problems we have had recently at the girls' current school recently.  I got so fed up with the whole mess that if something hadn't worked out with a transfer or something, I would probably have ended up homeschooling them. 

Relief came in the form of a friend who offered her influence as an awesome teacher at a magnet school in our district.  It's the only magnet school in our district and extremely difficult to get into...and the application time was in January.

I had been venting my frustrations to this friend because I knew that she knows the school system and my kids.  I happened to be at her house for a chocolate tasting party and a few friends and I were catching up.  Of course, my kids came up.  It's not that I hadn't considered moving the girls to her school, I had but I knew it was difficult to get in.  I didn't realize that all it took was a conversation between her and the principal at her school and I would get in. 

It's amazing what can happen when you know people.  I just didn't realize that I know the right people.

Today I filled out the official forms, but the principal will be walking them through the process so I'll just be waiting for the official word that is sure to come.

I'd been weighing a ton of options before this and was pretty sure that I had a handle on next year, but I didn't really have any peace about it until this option opened up.  Today I just had to praise God because I knew that He had this planned all along.  The peace that I was expecting as I was making my decisions for next year never came until I got the text from my friend today saying that my girls were in.

Becca is not too thrilled with the decision.  I thought about not telling her for a while, but I figured that I should give her time to get used to it.  She needs that kind of time to process things like this.  She needs to grieve the loss of what she knows and find things to look forward to at the new school.  If I sprang it on her after school let out she would not have been happy.

Becca is really just worried about losing her friends.  First of all, we aren't moving so she will still have friends in the neighborhood even if she doesn't go to school with them.  Secondly, she makes friends very quickly.  I'm not worried about her.  She has a couple of friends that have been close since Kindergarten and 1st grade, but I doubt we will lose touch with them completely because I know all the moms pretty well and we are doing stuff outside of school with them still.  She will probably be going to school with them again in a couple of years for junior high anyway.

Ali and Zoe don't care yet.  First of all they haven't really gotten too attached to people in their classes at school anyway.  They both hang out with any kids that are willing to play with them still, so socially they are not really attached.  When I told them that they would be doing performances at their new school they wanted to know if they could go now.  Neither one is really shy so they won't have any trouble making friends again.

I'm so relieved.  I have been so caught up in the fact that I just don't feel like my kids are safe where they are.  It's not a good thing to feel.  I want my babies to thrive, not just survive, you know?  Things are looking up.




No comments: