Monday, September 16, 2013

Ali and the Squirrels Part 2

So it's official.  My kid has ADD.  I knew that.  I just have a paper to prove it now.

It's kind of anti-climactic, but not really.  The actual diagnosis has a finality to it that makes me want to crawl up into a little ball, but then bust out and start fighting.  It's a weird feeling.

The doctor discussed medications with me, but I'm not ready to go there with Ali yet.  It took me a really long time to get there with Micah, and Ali is just so...I don't know, young?  Sweet?  She's just Ali.  I hate the idea of changing her, I just want to know how to adapt so that she can function better. 

I've done a few things with her to help her think out why she is doing some things.  I'm hoping that she will be able to eventually catch on and adapt on her own, but right now logic isn't exactly her strong suit.  She's only 7.  Still, she is catching on a bit.  I am trying to figure out where the worst problems are so I can try to modify them so she functions better. 

I think the main difference at this point will be school.  I am debating getting things started for a 504 so she can have accommodations at school when necessary.  I'm debating because she can actually pull of decent grades, but just not up to what she is capable of.  I know she is capable of more and so do her teachers, we are just having trouble coaxing it out of her.  I don't like it really being on her school record, but at the same time, she is capable of more and I can't get it out of her if she doesn't have accommodations.  So what will affect her more?  I just don't know.

So I'm praying.  I don't know what to do yet, so I'm praying over it for a while without doing anything.  I don't want to move without direction.

Once again, waiting.

No comments: