Thursday, October 14, 2010

Good Morning Sunshine!

This morning began as usual. My children came to my room to tell me that the sun is up and it's time for the day to begin. Every day it's the same thing. They come to my room, jump on me, I turn over and poke Tony, and he gets up and makes the kids breakfast while I spend some time waking up properly.

Tony gets up with the kids every morning. It's part of what makes him the most awesome husband ever. I think we both wake up about the same rate, but he gets up and gets the kids breakfast and sits at the computer to wake up the rest of the way. The kids get up at the crack of dawn, so he has time before getting everyone ready for school. I stay in bed, have my quiet time, sleep a bit more. It works for us.

As I was in bed for my quiet time this morning my phone rang. It was my friend (I won't name names to protect the innocent...but she has red hair) called me and asked if I would come out and pick her up and give her a ride to work. She was having car troubles. I wasn't busy. I thought it wouldn't be a big deal even though it's about a 25-30 minute drive to get to her house from mine. She works pretty close to me, and she was a friend in need. I got up and started to ready myself for this trip.

Micah decided that he wasn't going to get ready for school today. He wanted to wear the same pants. There was a hole in them that he really liked. He had told me about this hole over and over the day before, so I knew all about the hole. It was just in the knee. I told him that he had to change underwear, then I smelled the pants. I was so not letting him wear them again. It was not an option. Being the creative mom that I am, I asked if he wanted a hole in the new pants that he was going to wear. This worked. Micah stopped his fit and Tony put a hole in the pants inside on a seam where no one would ever know or care. This made it take a bit longer to get out the door, though.

Finally when Tony saw that he was running a bit too late to get both kids (2 schools) to school on time, he asked me to drop off Becca. Cool. I could do that. Becca doesn't like it, but she can get over it. She just likes to be with Daddy in the mornings. Mommy is chopped liver.

So I put 3 girls in the van and go. I dropped Becca off at the school, programmed my GPS and off we went.

We picked up my red haired friend with no problems. I really didn't know where the place was because I hadn't been there before, but that's what the GPS is for.

Yay! I could get my friend to work! About a mile or so into the drive I feel a bump bump bump...it's a flat tire.

No big deal, my friend has AAA. She calls and we wait. About 30 minutes later he arrives and tells me to drive the car on the rim so that we are on another street. Um, NO! I've driven that car on the rim before. It was the biggest bill I've ever had for repairs on a car. He says he'll call a tow truck to take me to somewhere to replace my tire. I tell him no thanks. I have a full size spare. He refuses to change the tire claiming that it's unsafe. I'm only pulled off to the side of the road. It's a residential area, and everyone can see. It's not like I was in the middle of the road!

I told him forget it, I'll change it myself. I got out my dinky little jack and started to change it. My friend gets on the phone and is complaining to AAA. I honestly don't care, I can change a tire with no problem.

That's what I thought anyway.

I start to work my jack. It's not anything fancy, just the dinky thing that came with the car. I get it going and then suddenly it gets stuck. Stuck? What good is a jack that won't make the car go up?

My friend starts messing with it and it's going no where, so it wasn't just me.

Along came a guy who was hanging signs. He's running for city council. I think I heard that come out of his mouth like 50 times while he tried to change my tire.

Halfway to getting my van up to change the tire, the jack breaks.

SUPER!

My friend gets on the phone to her mom to see if she has a jack. I get on the phone to try and get in touch with someone who might help.

No one can come.

The guy who was running for city council called someone. They came and we had a jack. He got the tire changed (though I'm sure I've changed more tires than he has, he didn't know that a hubcap doesn't go on a spare), and we thanked him. We got his card, though I don't think he got it in his head that I wouldn't be able to vote for him as I don't live in that city.

We finally got my friend to work. I sat and chatted with some friends there. I really should have been grocery shopping, but I was irritated, so I decided I'd go after lunch. The twins played while my friend worked and then we went to lunch.

We went to a restaurant where we often went, and we always have great service. They are really nice and great to the twins. The food is good, too. The problem was that when we were about to leave, a huge group came in and took all their attention. We ended up going up to the cashier because our bill never came to the table.

I dropped my friend off back at work then went to the grocery store. I was not alone. It's a Thursday afternoon, the day before the 15th when a lot of people get paid, but the store was packed. On top of that, there was a bunch of kids running around the store pushing things off the shelves. I tried to get out of there fast, but with the twins, that's not always possible.

I got into line and of course there was a lady who had every coupon on the planet, WIC (one of the most annoying government programs for the person who needs it because it takes so long at the check out), and happened to be the parent of the kids who were at that point getting kicked out of the store because the knocked over another person's cart. I'm so glad it wasn't mine because I probably would have hurt some kids after the day I was having.

I've had a beautiful day so far. Can you tell?

Can I start my day over?

1 comment:

Judith said...

I plead the 5th. :) But you are a great friend for trying to help!