Friday, October 29, 2010

Halloween Costumes

I generally make the kids' costumes for Halloween. I just can't bring myself to spend $15-40 per kid on costumes in a store when I can make stuff myself for next to nothing. I tend to use items that can be used over and over for the costumes, or at least keep the costumes for the girls to play dress up.

This year, the girls changed their minds about what they wanted to be again and again until I put my foot down. Once I bought or gathered materials, there was no going back anyway.

To be fair, Zoe kept going back and forth between whatever the costume idea of the day was and her final decision. Even to the point of trying to make every idea part of her original idea, which was a lady pirate. When I suggested to the twins that they could dress up as a pair of dice, she said "yeah, I can be a dice lady pirate!"

Ali wanted to be a princess...she just kept changing what kind of princess she wanted to be. When I suggested the dice to her, she said, "okay, I'll be a dice princess!"

I gave up on the dice thing pretty much immediately. It was just a twin idea that I thought would be cute and easy.

Becca changed her mind constantly with no running theme. She wanted to be everything from a crayon to an evil queen. When I finally said no more changing your mind, she was the one who complained that she still wasn't sure.

Micah had his idea from the moment I first asked him. He knew what he wanted an how he was going to make it. He ended up doing it pretty much by himself, too. I love it that he's 9 and able to do stuff like that.

The final result:
Ali is a princess...she looks a bit ballerina, but it's a princess.
Zoe is a lady pirate. Complete with a high pitched "ARRR!" She's got a bit of ballerina in her costume too, but she said it's what lady pirates wear. She sounded so confident in that fact that I just let it go. Besides, tutus are really easy to make.
Becca is a southern belle. She's decided that it's a horrible costume, though, because she can't run in it. She fell so many times last night that I wished I had a video camera on me all the time so I could send it into AFV for a bit of money for her bruises. Poor kid.
Micah titles his costume "Estrellas" and I really can't explain it beyond a description that really doesn't do it justice. You'll have to wait for the pictures.

Last night we had a practice Halloween. We went trick or treating at my mom's work, and then Becca and I went to a Halloween party for GS.

I thought I got pictures, but when I looked this morning, I found that the CF card wasn't loaded in my camera. That's what I get for handing the camera to my mom without checking to make sure it's totally ready first.

So I have no pictures of the results, but I will Sunday night.

To be continued...

4 comments:

Jennifer said...

I don't know what kind of camera you have, but I have a Cannon Rebel and there is a way to move pictures from the camera to you card. Check out your manuel.

Supermomie said...

I have an older version of the Rebel. There is no internal memory.

Unknown said...

but I think there is a way to keep it from taking pictures with out the cf card, isn't there?

Supermomie said...

Apparently no pictures were taken. My mom had the camera and she didn't look at the phantom pictures, she just kept clicking. It will make all the sounds, but it won't actually take the picture because there is no memory to store it.

It's one of the things that they fixed with the newer models. Ours is the first Digital Rebel model, and it doesn't have many of the features that the newer ones have.