Sunday, June 10, 2012

Road Trip: Am I Crazy?

When I explain to people that I'm taking off on a journey across the country with all four of my kids, they ask when the plane leaves.  Nobody assumes that I'm going to actually attempt this journey in a car.  Their reaction when I tell them that we are driving is usually to look at me like I've completely lost my mind.

When I think back on my childhood, some of my fondest memories were of the trips where my mom shoved all 4 of us in the little white car and took off.  We tent camped because it was cheap and easy.  I don't remember ever staying in a hotel. We would hike and play in parks.  Since we were homeschooled, we never had to wait for summer to come, and we often took these trips while other kids were in school because it was cheaper and less crowded.  I shopped at every gift shop in state and national parks in the clearance section to appease the shopping bug that bit me as I got older.  Ah, memories.

Why wouldn't I want that for my kids?  Just because spending time in a car may be a little difficult doesn't mean that we shouldn't do it!

I must say, my mom didn't have autism and a special diet to cater to, so it was a little easier.  Still, I'm stopping in hotels and time shares sometimes to make my life a bit easier.  It's give and take.  I'm also taking her with me.  This is mostly because MS doesn't allow me to travel great distances without a backup plan.  I just don't think it would be responsible of me to take off by myself with 4 kids driving across the country in June when it's hot.

I have everything planned.  I am all packed.  I have all the reservations and I'm feeling good about all of it.  We are flexible enough to handle things that change plans and we are prepared for disasters that we pray don't happen.  I'm thinking we can handle this.

I still feel kinda crazy.  It's a confident crazy, but still pretty crazy.

We'll see how it works out!

No comments: