Monday, June 11, 2012

Road Trip: Home to Albuquerque

Sunday morning we went to church as we normally do.  I was so dead tired after packing the car until midnight the night before that I almost decided to skip Sunday School, but I decided against it.  I knew if I stayed home I would just be going over all the lists over and over and just work myself into a frenzy instead of getting any rest.

Church was wonderful, as always.  Our church had a couple of teams on the move, and Becca was excited to be a part of the send off.  As we had planned, Tony went with us to dinner and then I went to pick up mom and we took off.

All was going great during the day.  It was amazing to see my kids all getting along.  I knew it wouldn't last forever, but we had already established ground rules for everything, so I figured it was fine. 

The time came for the kids to go to sleep.  We had a car routine ready to establish for bedtime, so we just got it going.  Every night, the kids write in their journals about their day, then they listen to a few chapters of an audio book when it gets dark, then it's quiet time and everyone has to rest. 

The whole thing worked for about 20 minutes.  Micah just didn't really ever settle down.  It was so frustrating because we just kept trying to stop and rest for a bit and then Micah would tantrum and tell us that we weren't in Albuquerque yet, so we had to get going.  My mom and I got more rest just keeping the car going and listening to him chatter in his sleep than we did when we actually stopped the car.  Every time we got gas he was confused and angry because the gas light wasn't on yet (that's about when I normally get gas) and according to him we had somewhere to be.

It was an awful night.  The girls were all frustrated because he kept waking them up (except Becca, who could sleep through ANYTHING).  We got in to Albuquerque at about 6 am...we were planning on getting in by noon.  We went to breakfast while waiting for the KOA to open so we could check in.  We were early, but since we weren't picky, we got a spot.  We all worked together to set up the tent, then I got the grumpy kids out of my mom's hair by taking them swimming while she took a nap.

I'm so tired.  It's been a rotten day because I want a nap.  I want to sleep, but I need to relax in quiet first.  The kids are all sleeping soundly in the tent.  Micah almost fell asleep in his dinner because I kept him up all day so he would sleep tonight for sure.  It's going to be an interesting drive tomorrow, all the way to Grand Lake, OK.  There we will spend a couple of nights at the Worldmark resort, so we will have a chance to really relax.

This was our rough start for our trip, but I will not be discouraged!  God is in control! My plans don't always work out, but everything always works out well. 

If you are praying for us (thank you!) please pray for rest tonight and peace in the car tomorrow.  Also pray that my power outlet in the back didn't go out all the way (it was being temperamental today) because it's the only source of power for the DVD players to get charged for us during travel.  I don't want to have to go buy a converter for another outlet, but I will if it gets crazy.

I can't wait to see what tomorrow holds!

No comments: