Monday, June 18, 2012

Road Trip: Oklahoma to Nashville and Nashville to Florida

It's Monday and I'm finally back to blogging.  It's been a long weekend and I'm finally catching up on everything.

Oklahoma was O.K. I know, bad pun.  It wasn't our favorite stop on the Road Trip. There wasn't much that we could afford to do that was fun for the kids, so we just swam.  Micah was not in the mood to swim, so we went to the gym at the resort.  After that we went to the rec room and did a bit of pool and table tennis.

My mom and I repacked the car.  We were too tired and rushed when we left Albuquerque, so we basically had shoved everything in the car covered in sand besides the things that went in the wash.   Mom and I felt it necessary to redo it all where we were comfortable.

The beds were awesome.

The road to Nashville was long, but it was comfy again.  We stayed at a cheap hotel there.  It wasn't much, but it was a bed.  The first night it was 3 to each of the 2 beds.  That didn't work out so well.  Micah doesn't share a bed well.  I decided that we should bring up one of the air mattresses so he could have his own bed for the following night.

Friday night I had the beginning of my Clever Container conference, but during the day I had time to kick around Nashville with the kids.  We ended up going to the Frist.  It's an art museum that is a ton of fun for the kids.  They have an area for the kids to explore and do their own art.  They had a blast.  If you are ever in Nashville with kids, you should go. 

After the Frist, we went to a park, had lunch, then went back to the hotel so I could get ready for my conference.

My conference was at the Gaylord Opryland.  That place is huge.  It's pretty much an indoor city.

I got there and was totally lost.  I had no idea where to go.  Most of the other attendees were staying there, but I didn't want to do that with the kids...and it was incredibly out of our budget price range.

So I got to the hotel and parked in the wrong place, so it didn't matter that I was there 20 minutes early, I was still 15 minutes late.  I walked and walked and asked people and walked and walked.  I finally saw someone with the Clever Container WonderFull bag.  Clever Container!  She directed me to the place where everyone was.  I finally met some of the awesome people I work with.  It was so cool to see some faces in person that I only meet online. We did the meet and greet thing there then went to one of the many bars in the resort and had a drink.  My virgin margarita wasn't what I expected, but it was okay.  Mostly I had fun and got to know some of the ladies on my team, and that was great.

The next day was more conference.  I loved being in a room with the people who started and are growing Clever Container.  I got to meet the people that I only speak to on the phone when I have a problem or question.  It was great to meet everyone in person.

I also got a sneak peek at the new products that are coming out July 1st, and a bunch of free stuff.  Oh, and my favorite part, I found out that we are going to be going on a cruise!  I'm so excited to earn my trip!

While I was at the conference, the kids and my mom went to the Adventure Science Center.  Becca had a blast on their moon walk thing.  My mom has a video of her all strapped in hopping around.

The drive after that was really hard.  Becca had to be on Merrit Island, Florida at 8 a.m. and my conference was over at 5 p.m...and we changed time zones.  The biggest problem was that Micah didn't sleep much.  He woke up every time we tried to stop the car.  He didn't like it that we stopped.  We had somewhere to be and there was no time to rest, in his opinion.  At one point he was screaming and out of control when we went to a rest stop.  I took him out of the car when he started to hurt the girls.  There we sat on the sidewalk in the middle of the night, waiting out a tantrum.  It woke me up enough so I could drive again for a while and allowed my mom to have a nap.

The next morning we got to Teen Missions International's Boot Camp site.  Becca was so excited!  She ran to go get a wheel barrel to take her stuff to her tent and check in.  I followed her around a bit snapping some pictures.  Becca seemed a bit apprehensive with the people at first, but another little girl who was already checked in came up to her and asked her what team she was on.  The minute she said "Cookie Command" she had her first friend.  When it was time for me to go, Becca barely waved at me.  That child had no fear.

The rest of us went to our campsite.  KOA's Kissimmee Kampground is really nice.  Our tent site is right by the bathrooms, the pool, the laundry room, and the fitness center.  There is a big tree for shade and lovely grass all around. 

Today we woke up after a peaceful night in the tent (hooray!), had some oatmeal, then went on our way.  We decided to visit the Wekiwa River.  It has a really great place to swim, canoe, and kayak.  We ended up just swimming because they didn't have a canoe that would fit all 5 of us, and my mom and I weren't going to get in different canoes with kids.

We had a blast.  There was a huge crowd, but it didn't feel overcrowded.  For $6 to park, the cost of pb&j for lunch, it was a fun day well spent.  We came back and had dinner, then the kids wanted to swim in the pool.  It was a fun day.

No comments: