Thursday, July 31, 2008

Becca's First Day of School

Today was Becca's first day of school without Mom. I don't count yesterday, I was there, as were all of the other parents for an orientation type thing. The focus was mostly on the parents, so that's why I say it doesn't count. She still managed to make her mark, even if it wasn't really school.

We had gone on Tuesday to the school to find out who her teacher is and what room she will be in, because they had it posted then so that people can avoid the crowds the first day. It was an interesting trip with all 4 of my kids, but it was probably better than having to push through the crowds to see the lists posted the first day. We actually had the opportunity to meet her teachers (there are two of the sharing the contract because one is going to be on maternity leave) on Tuesday, which gave Becca an advantage the next day (not really something that was necessary, though).

Wednesday, I had a hard night the night before, with Ali and Zoe not sleeping well. Tony and I managed to get the kids out the door in sort of a reasonable amount of time, and I got the twins and Micah to a friend's house where they would stay while Becca and I went to her school.

We arrived, went to the class, and found her seat. Becca immediately went around trying to make friends in the middle of the chaotic entrance of people. I think she scared some of the kids with her forwardness. My daughter is not at all shy. There were kids who were fine with coming, there were those who were glued to their parents, but no one as outgoing as Becca. While the teachers were talking to the parents, they had the kids look at books, and when things started to get messy, she went to the kids who were not following the rules and told them to put the books away properly. She might have been offensive, except she was helping them and asked them to help her in such a nice way. I was impressed. She usually just yells at people to do what she wants. My little born leader usually manages to get her help to revolt.

After the books, we took a tour of the school, and found where she would go the following morning, and the teachers showed us the daily routine. Becca tried to stay at the front and did the brown-noser thing. It seemed like she was determined for everyone to like her. That could worry me, but Becca is so opinionated that I don't know how long the people-pleaser thing will last.

This morning I took her to school and had her eat breakfast there so I could help her adjust for a little while before leaving her there. She did everything that she was told, but having to do the breakfast line by herself would have been difficult. She was quick to ask for help when she didn't know something (and she usually didn't ask me), so I know that she will be fine tomorrow when I just drop her off and go. She didn't want me to go until her teacher came to get the class from the cafeteria (this is the routine for the first trimester) until one of the girls that she had met yesterday was crying and didn't know what to do. Becca, being the little mommy that she is, went up to that little girl and told the adults trying to help her that they were in the same class, and that everything would be fine because she would take care of the girl. She turned to the girl, asked her to play at their table with her, and the girls sat down and played. I told Becca that I was going to go, and she didn't care. The teacher was walking in then anyway, but Becca hadn't noticed yet. We did our listen and obey talk that we usually do before dance class, and I was off.

I picked her up and she talked nonstop (even though Micah was having a rough time in the car) for quite a while. She loved it, I hope that lasts many years.

So, do I have pictures? Nope! I will have to get some later and pretend that they are from her first day of school. It's cheating, I know, but I have a scrapbook to do!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I still can't get over that she is starting school already. Chris and Janel don't start until after Labor Day.
Does Micah start this early too?
None of this surprises me. Becca is alot like Janel and she certainly had no problem adjusting to kindergarden.