Saturday, July 5, 2008

Bright Red

Today I am suffering from the worst sunburn I have had since I was a teenager.

Yesterday I was in worse pain, but I still had to function then...I guess I have to function right now, too, but at least I can do it at home.

Wednesday my mom, the kids, and I went down to San Diego and stayed at her timeshare there until we drove home yesterday on the 4th. While we were there we went to Sea World. I decided that since I would be in the sun all day long, I would wear sunscreen. Seems like a good idea, right? Well, in the past, every time I have worn sunscreen, I have gotten a worse sunburn. Of course, that was when I was a teenager. My skin should have changed by then, right? Beyond that, the formula for sunscreens are different, right? I should have known better when I put it on and started itching.

Yesterday, my mom and I drove home with some tired kids, and both of us were sunburned. My burn is worse than my mother's, though. She didn't wear sunscreen.

Anyway, on to a more pleasant thought.

Sea World was fun. I had never been there before. We went to several shows, the kids played around in the Sesame Street Bay of Play. They all love Sesame Street, so that was pretty convenient. My mom was busy with some business during the first half of the day, so the kids and I were on our own. The park wasn't crowded that morning, though, so we just played around on our own. The kids and I went to a show, when it started to warm up and people started to crowd in. My mom showed up and we had lunch, then took in some more shows, rode the few rides, and basically just played until dinner time. We went back to our room and had dinner there, and then we went back for the night shows. We were all totally exhausted by the time we were done, so we all slept rather well. I woke up still drained, and though I knew I was sunburned, I didn't realize how bad until I really looked in the mirror. I realized then why I was drained and still in pain.

I have soaked my skin in lotion (aloe only makes me feel sticky and gross, and never really works). I have drank more water this morning than I have in a while. I'm trying to stay hydrated and keep myself from hurting so much. My kids keep looking at me strange, and this morning, Micah came up to me and poked me saying, "Mommy red." That was just beautiful. I love being poked in the morning.

By the way, my kids are fine. Yeah, they got a little sun, but nothing like Mommy. Sunscreen works on them. That and they have enough of their father in them to tan nicely.

I'll probably post some pictures later, but for now, I'm beat.

Just because:

Isaiah 12

Songs of Praise
1 In that day you will say:
"I will praise you, O LORD.
Although you were angry with me,
your anger has turned away
and you have comforted me.

2 Surely God is my salvation;
I will trust and not be afraid.
The LORD, the LORD, is my strength and my song;
he has become my salvation."

3 With joy you will draw water
from the wells of salvation.

4 In that day you will say:
"Give thanks to the LORD, call on his name;
make known among the nations what he has done,
and proclaim that his name is exalted.

5 Sing to the LORD, for he has done glorious things;
let this be known to all the world.

6 Shout aloud and sing for joy, people of Zion,
for great is the Holy One of Israel among you."

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I feel your pain. At least a little bit. I took Chris to see the Mariners at the Safe today and I forgot the bloody sunblock. Chris is fine, he wore his jacket alot but I got hit hard on my chest. Sleeping tonight is gonna suck.