Sunday, June 29, 2008

Stretched, but not broken!

Today was sooooooo long. It all started at about 4am, when Micah came in to cuddle. Now, Micah had spent the previous evening throwing up, so I felt the need hug my poor boy anyway. However, because he is not feeling very well, he was really squirmy, and I didn't really rest after that. Then there was the getting ready and going to church. Micah stayed home with my mom and a barf bucket since breakfast didn't stay down.

Then Tony got a phone call from his sister, and I went to go pick her and her daughter up for church because somehow she go locked out of the car with her daughter's car seat in it. Then came Sunday School. This Sunday I wasn't teaching, so that was kinda a break.

Then I went in to help out with the toddlers during the service, and that's always fun. There were 6 kids all the twin's age (or around there pretty close). It was really cute when they all decided to play ring-around-the-rosy together (a morbid song, but they don't know that). I wished that I had a camera for that.

Afterwards, I went home and fed the kids lunch, left them with my mom and went running around to get stuff together for Becca's dance show that was this afternoon. She had to have her hair done in curls, and that doesn't happen without a lot of gel and hairspray, which I was running low on.

Becca had her dance show without me. I felt bad for not being there, but there was just no way to be there and do the things that I needed to do for that evening at church. Grammy went with her, though, and she got part of her performance on tape. Grammy didn't know how to use the video camera, though (not her fault, no one explained it to her, we just didn't have time this afternoon), and the recording got cut off in the middle. I have the dress rehearsal recorded, though, and we have a lot of pictures, so it's ok. I have to get everything downloaded so I can show off.

So, that's two places that, as the mom, I should have been. I know, I feel awful. So, instead of being there for my kids, I was at church because VBS parent night was tonight. I was the one who knew all the motions to the songs that the kids were singing, plus I had to puppet for the show. I was running around like crazy through the whole thing. Not to mention the setup that came before that. It was fun, but I feel bad about not being with my kids. My mom told me that Micah had felt better in the afternoon, and he kept down his lunch and dinner just fine. When I left, Ali was running a fever, but apparently after a good, long nap she was fine.

Becca came after her show(which started at 4...at least it was suposed to, and was supposed to go until 6, while our service starts at the church at 6:30...Becca was still later than that) and performed at church in the VBS thing, so that was nice, even if she had to wear her tu-tu.

My day was not supposed to be this stretched. It was going to be fine, but my son got sick. I would have still been busy, but it wouldn't have been as bad. I feel like a lousy parent right now, and I am thanking God for my family, who, while they may have rather been elsewhere, came to my rescue. My mom is awesome for dealing with vomit for me. My mother-in-law is awesome for sitting through some really bad dance performances and a really badly organized show to be there for my daughter (It really is a horrible thing to watch...and, of course, Becca was last on the program). My kids are awesome for dealing with stand-ins with flexibility that is amazing for their ages.

I am blessed.

On another note: I was driving home from church this evening and almost had a heart attack. I had a guy who was riding my tail through a residential neighborhood because I dared go the speed limit. I had Becca in the car with me. I was sure I was making him mad, because he kept swerving like he wanted to go around me. All of a sudden this little puppy came darting across the road, kinda far ahead of me, so I just slowed down further. I got up to the puppy, and apparently the guy behind me gave up and backed off because a little kid who looked to be about the twin's age came running out into the street after the puppy. I slammed on the brakes as fast as I could, but I got within a foot of this baby. I am so thankful that the guy behind me didn't hit me because the baby would have been hit if he had. I heard a scream from the house that the baby had come from, and a lady ran out and grabbed her kid. I got home and hugged my children. I held the twins even when they were squirming to get down. I just had to hold them.

After the stressful day of not being with my kids much, to have that kind of almost accident was a total nightmare. I just praise God that he kept anyone from being hurt.

So here I am. I feeling like a total bum for everything. I got so much praise for the work that I put into the performance at church, but it almost felt like slaps. Maybe I should have been with my boy who was sick. Maybe I should have been at Becca's dance show. I don't know if I should be called supermommie right now.

On the other hand, God was the one who laid it on my heart to do that job for VBS. He surrounded me with a family who could be there when I couldn't. Maybe I was supposed to be right where I was. God showed me that if I did that job, I would be there for my kids all week, and keep the stress level down for the most part in my family. Today was the exception, but even in the midst of my worry, God provided a way for things to happen smoothly.

So, should I feel bad? I don't know. I know I can't be everywhere at once. I know that I am there for my kids most of the time, and today was really an exception, not the rule. I'm conflicted, but my kids really didn't care. They had their grandmothers, and that was great for them. No one really suffered in my absence. But did I make the right choice? I don't know. Was that near miss of an accident a lesson? I don't know.

Psalm 25

Of David.
1 To you, O LORD, I lift up my soul;

2 in you I trust, O my God.
Do not let me be put to shame,
nor let my enemies triumph over me.

3 No one whose hope is in you
will ever be put to shame,
but they will be put to shame
who are treacherous without excuse.

4 Show me your ways, O LORD,
teach me your paths;

5 guide me in your truth and teach me,
for you are God my Savior,
and my hope is in you all day long.

6 Remember, O LORD, your great mercy and love,
for they are from of old.

7 Remember not the sins of my youth
and my rebellious ways;
according to your love remember me,
for you are good, O LORD.

8 Good and upright is the LORD;
therefore he instructs sinners in his ways.

9 He guides the humble in what is right
and teaches them his way.

10 All the ways of the LORD are loving and faithful
for those who keep the demands of his covenant.

11 For the sake of your name, O LORD,
forgive my iniquity, though it is great.

12 Who, then, is the man that fears the LORD ?
He will instruct him in the way chosen for him.

13 He will spend his days in prosperity,
and his descendants will inherit the land.

14 The LORD confides in those who fear him;
he makes his covenant known to them.

15 My eyes are ever on the LORD,
for only he will release my feet from the snare.

16 Turn to me and be gracious to me,
for I am lonely and afflicted.

17 The troubles of my heart have multiplied;
free me from my anguish.

18 Look upon my affliction and my distress
and take away all my sins.

19 See how my enemies have increased
and how fiercely they hate me!

20 Guard my life and rescue me;
let me not be put to shame,
for I take refuge in you.

21 May integrity and uprightness protect me,
because my hope is in you.

22 Redeem Israel, O God,
from all their troubles!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

You know why you feel bad, right? It's because you are a good mom.

Miss C said...

I was told oncce that you can tell that God is using you when you feel streched beyond your means but still manage to do an amazing job.

My guess is God was using you. I hope eventually you will find out how.