Thursday, April 23, 2009

Diagnosis?

Yesterday morning I went to the neurologist. My sight back, I'm just figuring I'm going to suffer through some more tests.

Nah.

Just a long talk about what I need to do to beat this thing.

MS

Not that I actually have a diagnosis. I was told that I could do the spinal tap, but no matter what the results were, he recommends the same thing. Treatment for MS. If the results came back negative for MS, there is still a chance that I have it, and there is an even greater chance that I can develop it over the next 5 years either way. So, the best course of action is to just take the drugs.

Which means a shot.

Every day

For likely the rest of my life.

Don't get me wrong, I praise God for modern medicine. I'd rather take the shot than take my chances. I've experienced blindness, and while it wasn't complete blindness, it wasn't pleasant. I experienced numbness and being paralyzed for a short period of time. I'm praising God that function came back. I'll take the shot because I'm not dumb. My kids need me, and I need to function.

What does that medicine do? It decreases the chances of relapses. It doesn't really treat symptoms. Still, relapses are the thing to avoid. You never know if you are going to gain function back again.

The thing that I am trying to push through my brain is that I'm ok. People live with MS. They live relatively normal lives, too. I can do this.

Oh, yeah...unless you read my husband's blog, you wouldn't know.

I got my very first traffic ticket right after the doctor's appointment. Isn't that cliche? I was dumb and drove while talking on the phone...in Tony's car, which didn't have a proof of insurance in it...

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Wow. Talk about a whammy...

Miss C said...

It sounds like it is all trial and error.

I know several people who have to take thier shot daily and they have wonderfully "normal" (is anyones life truely normal?) lives.

Someone told me the other day that God does not give us more than we can handle, as long as we lean on him and realized that he is handling it. It really hit home for me.