Tuesday, April 7, 2009

Irritating Phone Calls

Today I have already answered the phone 8 times. Each of these phone calls were people who want to "help me get out of my bad mortgage." I am so sick of these phone calls. I know, I should just not answer the phone anymore, but my head hurts from the ringing, so I'd rather answer it than listen to it ring.

The last guy I actually talked to wanted me to lie about credit card debt so that I could get approved for a better loan. He said it wasn't really a lie, it was just so that I could get approved. After telling him that I wouldn't do it, he kept arguing with me about it and I finally hung up on him.

I think am just too nice to them. Telephone etiquette is too ingrained into my head. I've thought about letting my daughter answer the phone when they call...one of my two-year-olds, but I'm afraid that they will try to answer it all the time, and I just don't want to start that.

I know I don't have a great mortgage, but I'm not going to lie to get out of it. We struggle, but God provides.

We heard the scams before where they wanted us to get behind on our payments so that they can "help us out." The new one is that you need thousands of dollars in credit card debt so that you are sufficiently "in need." We just don't have that. We owe more on our house than it is worth and the mortgage is adjustable rate and ridiculously high. We owe on cars and stuff, but we have been working hard to pay off our other bills and it has worked. I'm not going to go out and blow all of that so that we can get a better loan. I'm also not going to lie about our situation so that we qualify for some program. If we don't qualify, we don't qualify. I'd rather trust God to provide than trust the irritating callers promising "relief."

"Trust in the LORD with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways acknowledge him, and he will make your paths straight. Do not be wise in your own eyes; fear the LORD and shun evil. This will bring health to your body and nourishment to your bones. Honor the LORD with your wealth, with the firstfruits of all your crops; then your barns will be filled to overflowing, and your vats will brim over with new wine." Proverbs 3:5-10

2 comments:

Miss C said...

I don't have a home phone any more, mostly because the only people that ever called it were telemarketers.

Joe and I are working with our origional bank to get our mortgage refinanced. We are hoping to be able to lower the payments, a little.

You are so very right God has done a wonderful job of providing. Even if we have to make sacrifices in order to make ends meet, God has always made the ends meet.

Unknown said...

https://www.donotcall.gov/
Register here. It fixed that problem for us.