Friday, April 10, 2009

The Next Doctor Visit

This morning I went in to see the neurologist. I took another test right away, and he basically told me that the findings were not normal. I kinda knew that because it was a visual thing, but what I didn't know was that my left eye was also not normal.

The findings tell him that he is setting me up for a whole bunch more tests. Yippee! I know sarcasm isn't becoming, but it's just what I'm feeling. I have to have a spinal tap.

As I sit here squinting at the screen, I am grateful for the steroids that should help me see soon even if it is MS like they think it is. I turned down the steroids initially, but the neurologist that I saw was afraid that some tests would be messed up if I didn't fix that problem, which is really just an initial symptom, soon. Basically, since the testing is more important because it helps determine the cause of the issues, and the sooner that I can have an accurate diagnosis, the sooner I can start treatment, which will really be really important for the long term. The side effects of the steroids are nothing compared to the consequences of not starting treatment soon with some of the things that the cause could be.

Today I started the IV steroids, and I go back Monday and Tuesday for more. From there it's all pills (way more convenient).

My mom and I started looking up some info on MS today. I say MS because I have no idea how to spell multiple sclerosis (I think that's right, though...no little gray lines under it...I know that they are supposed to be red, I just see gray). Basically everything that they said at the sites that we looked at about symptoms (well, not everything, but most things) I have experienced to some degree, so I see why the neurologist and my primary physician are leaning that way.

My biggest frustration right now is not being able to read well. When my son was first diagnosed with autism, my initial reaction was to read every book, look at every website, and talk to everyone who knew anything just to gain information about the subject. It's just how I deal with it. I know that by the time I am done typing this, my eyes will be pretty much done for the day...or at least for a few hours.

A side effect of the IV drugs that they gave me is that I can't sit still. I feel awful, but I can't lay around. I have to move. I just got a cramp from sitting still long enough to type this. I feel worse to sit still than I do to move. This is probably not a bad thing since the meds will also make me gain weight. At least if I gain weight while constantly moving, it will be muscle and not fat...that's the way it works, right? Am I just rationalizing? Honestly, the whole weight gain thing is not a big deal in the grand scheme of things.

Well, I have to stop. My body is saying move around, and my eyes are saying quit.


2 comments:

Skubaliscious said...

Praying for you.

Miss C said...

I hope the setriods help. I wish there was more I could do for you besides pray.

I have put you on every prayer list in every group I'm apart of. I have asked all of my friends to put you on any prayer list they are a part of. I'm hoping that with all those people praying for you that you will at least find comfort and guidance in God's will, if not healing.