Thursday, June 12, 2008

Fear and my baby bro.

Another thing of note that happened in this last week was where I was on Sunday morning. It was not my usual Sunday morning of going to my church and teaching my HS girls, then attending service with my son (who is doing quite well in church lately). Instead, I went to the church where my little brother leads the youth group and music. This particular Sunday, my baby bro preached his first sermon. I have to say, for a first sermon, it was quite good. He spoke on fear, which is an interesting topic when one is speaking in public. It was excellent, though I really did not expect anything less from Steven. While he may be more comfortable behind some instrument, he doesn't usually lack verbal ability, either. Though in this case, I believe that his strength came from God alone.

Using the talents that we have worked so hard to refine in our lives is easy. God uses that, but I think that when He truly shines is in our weakness. He has a way of taking us out of what we know, making us totally rely on Him so that He can gain all the glory. It's awesome, but really scary. But when we truly rely on Him, we are trusting the One who has complete control over everything. Scientific laws don't apply, knowledge on our part can be unnecessary (and can even get in the way). The rules of the world bow to the Ruler of everything. Isn't that awesome?

So, I may be repeating some of the things that Steven talked about, but isn't that what sermons are there for? We use what we are taught and apply it to our lives, and in my case, this blog. So thank you, Steven. There, no plagiarism, though I don't think that there was much that Steven said that I hadn't heard from somewhere else. I saw some influences from some teachers that we both had in Steven's style and content. Still, "do not fear" is something that needs to repeated in our lives quite a bit.

I leave you with the words of Christ:

"I say to you, My friends, do not be afraid of those who kill the body and after that have no more that they can do. But I will warn you whom to fear: fear the One who, after He has killed, has authority to cast into hell; yes, I tell you, fear Him! Are not five sparrows sold for two cents? Yet not one of them is forgotten before God. Indeed, the very hairs of your head are all numbered. Do not fear; you are more valuable than many sparrows." Luke 12:4-7 (NASB)

No comments: