Thursday, June 26, 2008

Vacation Bible School

This week is the one week a year that I really just don't have a husband. I see him every once in a while, he sleeps in the same bed (which is probably better than some people), but he really doesn't have time for anything else but work. Every year during the summer, we have Vacation Bible School at our church. I decided to reduce the stress this year by volunteering for something easy and fun during this time. I'm not in charge of anything, I am helping out with the music. It is really fun, and I enjoy not being in charge. I have tried saying that I'm not doing anything, and I ended up doing something big. This year, I think I found the spot where I will stay. All I have to do is get excited and have fun during the worship rally, and learn the motions to the songs and teach them (or at least assist in teaching them).

My mom is in charge of the preschool department, so my girls are all taken care of during the night. Micah has his regular buddy, so he's taken care of. I am free to help out when I'm not busy doing my job of having fun, and basically, that has been picking up people who need rides to and from the church. I had time to talk to my friend last night who is going through some rough stuff with her child and be there for her. I had time to talk to some of the teenagers who were in the middle of drama, and help out their teacher while she dealt with it. It was nice to be available to help others as opposed to being so busy that I couldn't do anything.

I would really like my husband back, but it definitely isn't as stressful as it has been in the past. Maybe it's the fact that we have been married for 8 years and this week has come every year, and I enam getting used to it. Maybe it's the fact that I'm not so busy myself, so I am able to relax and get through the week without being needy. Maybe it's just God giving me the much needed peace over the situation. I don't know, but it's Thursday, and this is the last day of VBS. We have family night on Sunday, so things it's not over yet, but that should really just be fun. Of course, it will also be pretty stressful for me because Becca's dance recital is that afternoon, and I won't be able to go to that (but I am sending my mom and a video camera). It is also going to be a long night because the cleanup is supposed to happen then, too. That's the problem with that night being the family night. I'm sure that Tony will get loads of feedback about that. I like the idea, though, even if it is going to be a rough night.

Just another update that has nothing to do with anything else: On Monday, Micah went to see his doctor about his recent behavior issues and possible absent seizures. I'm taking him in for an EEG in a couple of weeks to see what is going on in his brain, but his doctor is pretty sure that the behavior issues are connected to the seizure thing. He has been off seizure meds for over a year, and if the EEG isn't normal, he's likely to have to stay on them for the rest of his life. Bummer, but at least it's an explanation and treatable. If the EEG is normal (which isn't really expected), then Micah will probably need to go on different meds just simply for behavior issues. I hate that. I also know that it is probably necessary. He loses control of himself and just becomes really violent, and it is really starting to affect him at school and at home. He had always been very careful not to hurt his little sisters until recently. Now, if he loses control, they are a likely target (usually it's me first, though, fortunately). I hate putting him on drugs, but I hate hurting the girls even more. It's a really bad situation. Hopefully, the seizures will explain it all, and I won't feel so bad about putting him on those meds.

Well, that's what is going on with me. Here's a verse just because.

"Trust in the LORD with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways acknowledge him, and he will make your paths straight." Proverbs 3:5-6

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Yeah for you and the fam. I know that VBS week is always so busy for you all. Glad to hear, at least on your end, that it isn't so bad this time.
And big hugs for my Micah. I had been so happy for him when I was reading how well he was doing and this setback just stinks. I hope you are able to get that all worked out.