Wednesday, June 11, 2008

Kindergarten, second grade, and stuff.

Yesterday, I took my oldest daughter to test for kindergarten placement. I hate mentioning my pet peeve, but it came up, and I am kinda venting what I really wanted to say, but it just wasn't appropriate at the time. Just because a child is intelligent before going to kindergarten, does not mean that the child attended preschool! Just because a child does not attend preschool, they do not have to lack intelligence! OK. I feel better. Sorta.

Becca took their test and answered almost every question that they handed her correctly. She knows more than I even thought she did, and I thought I was just a biased parent! I sat there and watched her count to 100, identify letters, upper and lower case, and the sounds that go with most of them (though she didn't quite understand the multiple sounds in vowels), she identified most of the numbers that they gave her (she had problems after we ran out of calendar numbers, and she did hesitate on a few of the twenties), she even corrected the teacher giving the test about one of the shapes! Their square did not have even sides, and she pointed that out to the teacher. Then, she told the teacher that her blue looked a little too purple, and the teacher told her that she was right, and that the printer must be running out of ink. It was kinda funny.

Monday, I had an IEP for Micah to discuss placement for next year. He will be with the same teacher, and he will continue to mainstream for math. I think that this will be a positive experience for him next year if they can keep their act together about his aid. She needs training. I finally met her for the first time at this meeting, and it seemed like she just didn't want to work with Micah at all. Hopefully all of that will change by next year. He will have the summer off, and during that time I will be going over some new treatments with his doctor. His aggression is starting to get bad, and my baby is having seizures again. They aren't as bad as before, but I'm still concerned. I'm probably going to have to get him back on meds. I hate that. I hate putting a kid on medication, but I'm out of options. I've lost hope that he'll get over it with just the behavioral interventions. He started to get better for a while when we began praying together before school, and I really believe that the Holy Spirit is still working with him on these issues, but I just can't get over the feeling that there is something medically wrong.

Then there is Ali. She hasn't been feeling well lately, and I just don't know what's wrong. I am going to get an appointment for her to see her doctor for her two-year-old check up anyway, but I might take her in before that. She had a fever yesterday, but it went away after I held her and she drank a bunch of water. I wasn't home or I would have given her tylenol or something. She just looks drained sometimes. I hope that it isn't serious. It's wierd when you put her next to Zoe, who weighs so much more and is just happier all the time. I'm worried. I'll probably call the doctor tomorrow.

I'm feeling awful. I had dental work, and since then I have had a headache every time I try to eat anything. The dentist said I would be sensitive for a few days, but this is awful. I haven't eaten much because it just hurts too much afterwards. I'll get over it, though. I always do.

VBS is coming! I'm excited. I'm working in the music area, and that is where I have wanted to work for years, but I kept getting talked into (not by Tony, but by the Holy Spirit) working elsewhere. I think God is finally saying, OK, go for it. I love the excitement of the music, the worship, the kids getting into the motions to the songs, and everything else that goes into this area of VBS. I'm really looking forward to it. I also don't have to be in charge, which is so great. I'm working with our awesome music leader, and he is a really great guy to work with. I'm not really talented musically, but Steve really is. He gets excited, and kinda dorky, but I think that is so cool. He loves the Lord and the kids and music, and that is a winning combination for our VBS.

Well, that's my life right now. School is out tomorrow for Micah, so I won't have much time then for blogging, probably. Since my mom bought a laptop that I have been using while she is at work, I may be able to figure out something, though, since I am more mobile.

Here is my verse for the day. OK, so it's more than one verse, and it's pretty long, but this passage is usually torn apart and used wrong a lot of times, that I thought I'd share the whole thing, quite a bit of it anyway, this isn't the whole, awesome chapter. I highly recomend reading the whole book really.

"And we know that in all things God works for the good of those who love him, who have been called according to his purpose. For those God foreknew he also predestined to be conformed to the likeness of his Son, that he might be the firstborn among many brothers. And those he predestined, he also called; those he called, he also justified; those he justified, he also glorified.
What, then, shall we say in response to this? If God is for us, who can be against us? He who did not spare his own Son, but gave him up for us all—how will he not also, along with him, graciously give us all things? Who will bring any charge against those whom God has chosen? It is God who justifies. Who is he that condemns? Christ Jesus, who died—more than that, who was raised to life—is at the right hand of God and is also interceding for us. Who shall separate us from the love of Christ? Shall trouble or hardship or persecution or famine or nakedness or danger or sword? As it is written: "For your sake we face death all day long; we are considered as sheep to be slaughtered." No, in all these things we are more than conquerors through him who loved us. For I am convinced that neither death nor life, neither angels nor demons, neither the present nor the future, nor any powers, neither height nor depth, nor anything else in all creation, will be able to separate us from the love of God that is in Christ Jesus our Lord."

Romans 8:28-39

No comments: