Monday, June 2, 2008

Dumb Dog!

This morning I took the girls out to the front yard to play and try out my new digital camcorder. I intend to post video soon, but I want to play with it first. So the girls were playing around and then all of a sudden my dog is in the street. Now, the backyard and the front yard of my home are separated, and generally, we don't go into the backyard unless we are playing with the dog, which at this point requires my full attention on keeping the dog from jumping on my girls. Needless to say, I wasn't going to mess with the dog and my video camera at the same time.

So anyhow, my dog somehow got out of the backyard, and then she wandered into the street (my front yard has a fence, but it opens at the driveway). I happened to be barefoot, so chasing my dog up and down the street was not my idea of a good morning exercise. I did it anyway. I yelled for Becca to go and get my shoes and the dog treats (the only way Banita will listen to anyone) and took off after the dog. It's a good thing my feet aren't all that sensitive, or I'd be in even more pain right now.

Where are my twins? Standing in the yard yelling, "go doggie go!" I have a feeling I know who let the dog out. They must have loosened the gate and then walked away, though, because they were right in front of me when I say Banita's escape.

So here I am, barefoot, running to try and catch my dumb dog, when another toddler down the street lets his dog out of the yard. Now, this happens all the time to my poor neighbor down the street. She is often chasing her son or the dog who constantly get out of their yard. This kid just sits in the middle of the road sometimes and plays. The mom sees him and takes him back to her house, but this is really common to see on my street. What is really frightening is that when the major cross street a block away is busy, people often speed down our road trying to get around traffic.

At this point Banita is now with the other dog and slowed down enough that I might be able to catch her soon, plus my neighbor is now chasing after the dogs as well. Becca finally comes back out with my shoes, and we are near enough to my house for me to go get them, except they are heels, and there is absolutely no way I can run in them in the gravely road. She didn't come with the treats yet, either. Nope, when asked later why she brought out those particular shoes, she said that they went with my outfit. Yep, my feet are getting torn up, and my daughter is worried about color coordination.

We finally cornered the two dogs, and I got Banita back in her yard. I decided we needed to go inside and watch tv for a few minutes so I could soak my feet.

Are you done laughing at me? My neighbors (who sat in their yards enjoying the show) are probably not done yet.

"A righteous man has regard for the life of his animal,
But even the compassion of the wicked is cruel." Proverbs 12:10

Yep, I looked that one up to keep me from beating my dog.

1 comment:

Miss C said...

I laugh because I did this six months pregnant. I came back with the dog, who was very close to going to the pound only to have my oldest greet me with "Mommy you looked really funny running, is Corey ok? Can babies puke in your tummy?"

I put my kids to bed and tried not to eat the whole pint of ice cream.