Wednesday, February 25, 2009

My Grandmother

I found out yesterday that one of my grandmothers died on Monday. This Grandma Gen was a woman that I didn't really know, but loved anyway.

I guess the thing that I remember about her most is that every year growing up I got a birthday card from her. She was my father's mother, and my father left us all when I was about 2. I don't ever remember hearing from him growing up, but every year without fail, Grandma Gen sent me a birthday card. I felt the love.

I found out about her death because I am a "friend" to my father on myspace, and he posted a blog and a bulletin about her. I rarely check my myspace account anymore, but I did yesterday on a whim. Anyway, Tom (my father) put this video of her playing the piano in his blog, and I thought I'd share.



I sat down and watched this video, and my kids gathered around me and I told them what I knew about her. Becca said, "she plays piano like Uncle Steven!" I had to laugh. The musical gene is passed down from that side of the family, and my brother serves God with his talents.

A few years back she met my older two kids. We were up in Oregon visiting my brother and she and Tom dropped by. Becca wouldn't remember, she was only 2, and Micah...well even if he remembered meeting her, I probably would never know.

Honestly, I don't know how I really feel right now. I'm sad, but I really never knew her well, so the loss isn't really that deep. I find myself wishing that I knew her better, then maybe I would know how to feel. I don't know.

1 comment:

Paul said...

Seems very weird to me to be surfing the internet and poke around to my sister's blog to hear about my Grandmother's death.

Such is our family I guess.

I don't really have much to say...I barely had contact with her, other than a few phone calls around holidays and birthdays.

Still, I'm a little sad. I wish I had known her better. :(