Monday, February 9, 2009

Something Wonderful

Yesterday, in the middle of a sad day in our church, something wonderful happened.

We were taking the Lord's Supper, the last one with our current pastor, and my daughter asked if she could have some of the juice. Now, we have had this conversation before, so I wasn't really thinking anything of it, and I just explained again that this wasn't just a snack in church, it was for people who have made Jesus their boss and asked for forgiveness for their sins. This is something that she and I have had many many conversations about lately, and basically she came to the conclusion in the past that she didn't want to make God her boss, because she doesn't like what He says to do sometimes (sound familiar? It's something that a lot of adults say when asked to make Him their Lord). If she hadn't had so many conversations with me about this subject, I would have figured that she just didn't want to be left out when everyone around her was having a snack and I really wouldn't have taken her seriously. I never had in the past when this conversation came up.

So I began to talk to her about what the elements meant, and she kept finishing my sentences. She told me that she knew all that and that Jesus died on the cross for her sins, and that she wanted to tell Him sorry and that she wants to make Him her boss now. She prayed. There really wasn't much prompting from me, but I wanted to make sure that I wasn't just getting what I wanted to hear from her so that she could have some juice and crackers. After the service was over, I told her she had to go talk to Pastor about it. I asked her which she would like to talk to, Pastor Dale or Pastor Brian, and I was really happy that she said Pastor Brian, because he is the one who is staying around for a while, and I would rather he know exactly where she is spiritually first hand so that if she has to talk to him later, he can help her out easier. I just like my daughter to have a good relationship with her pastor, you know?

Anyway, he talked to her, and I was there at first, and she was kinda shy about talking to him at first, and so she was just joking with him in her conversation. It's just what she does when she is nervous. Brian pressed on, though, and got her to talk to him. It was really nice to see him relate to her and see through her flirty nature to her heart in the matter. A lot of people would have just said that she wasn't ready and blown her off. He didn't feed her answers or anything, but he played with her until she was comfortable talking to him. In the end, he took her to talk without me, and they prayed together. Brian said that it took a lot to get stuff out of her, but she did finally answer his questions, and she prayed.

Becca did a lot of telling people what happened, mostly because I made her. I figure that if she can explain to people who love her what happened, she really meant it, and it will be easier to tell people later.

I have to say, her attitude today has been good. She keeps catching herself when she doesn't want to do something she is asked, and then just smiles and does it. I'm trying hard not to take advantage of that, since she is being so agreeable. I know, that's bad. Still, it's been so long since she has had a good attitude about helping out unless she gets a good reward. I'm still giving her points for things in our usual system, but she finished all her chores and is just being so good. I'm letting her watch tv right now, and I think I'll let her help me with dinner if she wants to.

So that is what is going on with me. I'm having a really good day, how about you?

"I have no greater joy than this, to hear of my children walking in the truth." 3 John 1:4